Sunday, November 21, 2010

Giving Thanks - More Than a Meal

Gratitude isn’t an easy concept to practice on a regular basis. We take one holiday each year to focus in on it – but it seems that amidst the cooking, cleaning, preparing, and family dysfunction, we tend to forget that the day was originally intended to offer thanks and gratitude for a bountiful harvest, and the relationships that helped achieve that harvest.

How does this relate to Mental Health and Wellness, you might ask? The study of gratitude has been quite the hot topic in the field of Positive Psychology over the past ten years. But rather than discuss the research literature of trait gratitude (the individual differences in how people feel and express gratitude) versus state gratitude (the pro’s and con’s of the short-term experience of the emotional state of gratitude) I thought it might be a bit more helpful to share with you an exercise in gratitude, and challenge you to find gratitude on your own this week.

This is a fairly simple exercise I used to do with young people and their families year ago – this can be either an individual or family exercise. Grab a piece of paper and something to write with for each person, and list all the things you are grateful for. Set a time limit, or to really challenge yourself, try to come up with 101 things you are grateful for. Once you get past the “easy” ideas, you will really start to realize all that you have. This is a great exercise for this time of year, but, much like the concept of gratitude itself, should be practiced more regularly.

My challenge for you this week – complete a gratitude list by yourself, or with your family. Take the time to discuss it with your family. I’ll get you started:

1. A loving wife who appreciates me despite my flaws (most of the time)
2. Two beautiful daughters and the joy and stress that comes with raising them
3. A career that provides for my family, and allows me to help others
4. A community that supports my ventures in life, but keeps me grounded
5. A fun and loving extended family that is a blessing to share the holidays with, quirks and all
6. My family of origin, who helped to mold me into the person I am today, again, quirks and all
7. Readers who tolerate my rantings, and appreciate what I have to share
8. ____________________________________________

Your turn – what would you add to the list? How many more items could you add?

Have a safe and enjoyable holiday!

Dan Recommends

Even though the Gratitude List is an exercise I used to do many years ago, I was reminded of it after reading the latest book by Rainn Wilson (yes, he IS Dwight for The Office) and company: SoulPancake: Chew on Life's Big Questions
- it's a fairly eclectic collection of art an ideas. If you like self-exploration on some of life's more intersting questions, add tis one to your list.

No comments: